Top 5 Healthy Swaps
Healthy eating doesn’t need to mean depriving yourself of yummy food. Just a few simple swaps here and there can make a big difference in nutrients and calories without much impact on taste or satiety. Try out my 5 favourite healthy swaps:
- Instead of rice, choose cauliflower rice – Making Cauliflower rice is easy and takes 1/4 of the time. Just take a whole raw cauliflower head and grate it with a cheese grater or run it through a food processor. Put the ‘riced cauliflower’ in a pot with 1/3 cup of water and steam it for 10mins. Voila!
- Try swapping out Pasta for Spaghetti Squash or Zucchini Ribbons – Use a vegetable peeler or a mandolin to make long, thin noodle-like slices of zucchini, carrots or sweet potatoes. Skip the boiling and simply bake or sauté the “noodles” for a few minutes. You can use the veggies in side dishes or to replace high-carb pasta in dishes like lasagna. It’s an easy way to cut the calories in your favorite pasta meals and sneak more vegetables into your dinner.
- Instead of croutons on salad, choose walnuts – add more flavor and protein to your salads and reduce the starch and sodium with this easy swap. Just remember a serving of nuts is just a handful.
- When a sweet tooth hits, instead of candy choose frozen grapes – have a sugar craving? Pop some grapes in the freezer then munch on them. Frozen grapes are super sweet and since they are so cold, you eat them slower. Now you’re getting your sweet fix as well as a good serving of vitamin K and C (use seeded grapes and get a punch of antioxidants as well!)
- Choose greek yoghurt in place of sour cream – Greek yoghurt has more protein than sour cream but almost the same consistency. When substituting, play around with spices and seasoning to even out the taste.
Try these out and let me know what you think.
What are your favourite swaps? Share in the comments below.