Today’s episode of the Willpower Not Required podcast is all about changing your eating habits.
Watch here then keep scrolling for more info:
The best way to begin to change your eating habits for health and weight-loss is to take it one step at a time. This is where the Nutrition Hierarchy comes in. Begin with step 1 then once you are comfortable (able to do it 80% of the time), move to the next step. See the image below for a visual representation of the steps.
Step 1: Focus on HOW MUCH you are eating
Eat what you normally do but focus on portions (eating less). Check out the post on using your hands for portion control for more direction on this. Once you are comfortable with this, add in the next step.
Step 2: Focus on HOW you eat
Slow down, reduce distractions and learn to notice your body’s hunger and fullness cues. I touch a bit on this in Episode #13 of the podcast.
Step 3: Notice WHY you eat
Are you eating for hunger,boredom,sadness, loneliness or to relieve stress. Try and focus on eating for hunger and to fuel your body 80% of the time. The other 20% is for pure pleasure!
Step 4: Focus on WHAT to eat
By this point you are a little more in tune with what you body is telling you and you can experiment with adding or removing foods. Focus on including lean meats, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
Once you are following these first 4 steps consistently about 80% of the time, you can add in the last step
Step 5: Focus on WHEN you eat
Now you can think about how you time your meals. Do you try Intermittent Fasting and if so what type? Do you eat breakfast or skip it? Do you time eating around your workouts?
By this point you are pretty much an expert on YOU. What feels good for your body, what works for your lifestyle and what is sustainable.
Ultimately there is really no right or wrong way to eat, it is only the right or wrong way to eat for you and your health.
It’s always tempting to completely overhaul your diet all at once in order to get results quickly, however by stepping back, slowing down and focusing on one step at a time in this suggested order you WILL get the results you want and You will be able to SUSTAIN those results – Willpower Not Required.
Are you looking for more tips to keep you motivated and on track to reach your goals, willpower not required? Listen to the podcast! Episodes are uploaded every Monday, Wednesday & Friday and are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pocket Casts and RadioPublic
You can also find videos of each episode on our YouTube channel