This yummy Enchilada Casserole recipe is packed with fiber and is kind of like a lasagna..but not really. It takes slightly longer to make than I usually prefer (40mins so not terrible) but it’s definitely worth it. One critical thing to remember…and I’m saying this from experience…..is to make sure that your sweet potato is fully cooked before you start. The first comment out of my family’s mouth was “what are these hard orange squares?” I decided to post this recipe despite that user error because I knew the meal would be perfect with soft orange squares haha! This version is vegetarian but you can add cooked chicken or beef to the mixture if you like.
Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
Prep time 15 mins Cook Time 25 mins
- 1 large sweet potato – cooked, peeled, and diced (cook in the microwave for about 10 mins or until soft…do it!)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes – drained
- 1/2 onion – chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper – chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp powdered garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup salsa – divided
- 2-4 tortillas depending on size (corn, flour, gluten-free or whole wheat)
- 4 oz shredded cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional topping: fresh cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocado, and/or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine diced and cooked sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, chili powder, garlic and cinnamon
- Spread 1/2 of the salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into pieces to fit and cover.
- Spoon 1/2 of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla
- Spread the remaining salsa over the mixture
- Add one more layer of tortilla then the rest of the mixture and top with the shredded cheese
- Bake uncovered for about 25mins -until the cheese is melted and the top is slightly browned.
- Let stand 5 minutes then cut into squares and serve with toppings if desired.
Try it out, you won’t be disappointed (that is unless you don’t cook the sweet potato first..then you definitely might be haha)
Looking for more quick and healthy recipes? Find more on the blog here
Learn more about Fired Up Fitness and how we can help you achieve your health and fitness goals in the comfort and safety of your own home by clicking here